Tuesday 26 February 2013

Chapter 1: The Beginning

The Beginning

This is the start of my creative release of all things that are captured by my camera.
I will explain in each of my photos; Frame size, Composition, White Balance, Aperture and Shutter settings, Lens size and the overall Motivation of each shot.

When I look through that round well designed piece of glass (the lens), I see more than a picture.
I see a story behind each one, I believe opinions may differ. You may not see what I am seeing but that is the beauty of it. I don't care. You should not care either because as a photographer you have the license to capture whatever moment you want, whichever subject you desire, no matter what others may think. It all comes down to what you want them to see.

Here is my first ever photo to this site. I name it "Sleepless Nights: Mind Prison"
I use a Canon EOS M- mirrorless camera. This will be my staple photography weapon for capturing images.
I used a 22mm Canon Prime lens. That is actually me in the photo using a 10 sec self timer. I decided to put in the frame the outdoor security lights because it showed amazing shadow bars against the wall. On the foreground is the bed post which "entraps" me inside the image. Originally, the white balance was set to 3200k or tungsten but I found the image was too bluish. I chose 5600k instead or Daylight to warm up the outdoor light. Then I used a slow shutter speed of about 15 fps with the aperture closed to about f17. ISO was about 200 or 400 but I am unclear with that. Overall, I wanted to portray a man consumed by his own thoughts that he is rendered sleepless and trapped in his mind. The bars in the background, foreground and shadows represent the "cage like" mindset he is experiencing. I decided to desaturate the colours which left the warm yellow light standing out as a means of freedom.

"Sleepless Nights: Mind Prison" by Laurence Nacario

No comments:

Post a Comment