Wednesday 27 February 2013

Slow Shutter Effects

So I mentioned in my last post that I will show you some slow shutter effects and here it is. Of course, results may vary depending on your camera or lense types but the basic guidelines remain the same. "Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". – Yousuf Karsh. If you don't know Yousuf Karsh you can always google him.

Ok, so in this photograph I have used my partner as my model. I used a 18mm-55mm Zoom lens from Canon. It was a challenge to choose an ISO for this shot because you are always faced with the dilemma of compromising the graininess of the image for more light  or having a better image with less light. I chose ISO 400 so that it would not sacrifice the overall quality. Now to get that strobe light effect of cars passing, I set the shutter speed at 10fps and set the aperture at around F7.0. That trick now is to keep a steady hand because unless you have a tripod handy (which I didn't), the image might blur because of movement. We were under a post lamp with a cool white bulb so I changed my white balance to Daylight (5600k) which gave it a warmer feel, a bit too warm for my liking actually. However, it compensated well because the white balance matched the black and white pole on the left showing the true white. This image was captured as we were on our way for desserts in a local Dutch restaurant and I happened to have my camera. I name this image " A fast paced world" because slow shutter speeds can enhance fast movements by dragging them accross the photo.
" A fast paced World"by Laurence Nacario

No comments:

Post a Comment